Sorry, The Rampage does not support Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer presents security concerns, and is no longer supported—even by Microsoft. Please download a modern browser such as:

Recent BU Grad Enjoying Success as a Digital Content Manager

Sports Communication • 2025

Former Bluefield University student Kassidy Brown grew up in Greeneville, Tennessee, where she first developed her passion for writing and reporting that led her on a remarkable journey in the field of communication.

Brown graduated from Chuckey Doak High School before coming to Bluefield to major in communication with a minor in criminal justice. She said BU became a nurturing ground for where where her aspirations took flight. Actively engaged in campus life, she immersed herself not only in academics but also athletics as a key member of both the women’s volleyball and tennis teams, where she showcased her dedication and teamwork.

Brown also served as editor of BU student newspaper, The Rampage. Through her editorial leadership, she honed her storytelling skills and learned the art of communicating effectively, setting the stage for her future endeavors. Additionally, she contributed her talents as a student worker in BU’s Public Relations Office.

“Gaining real-world experience and insights proved invaluable in my career,” Brown said about her experiences with The Rampage and the BU PR Office.

Brown said she’s grateful for the connections she made and the opportunities her professors provided. The Communication Department at BU became her second home, guiding her and preparing her for the challenges of the professional world. Brown credits her young success to the nurturing environment of the university, acknowledging that her journey would not have been possible without the support and education she received at Bluefield.

After graduating from BU in May of 2022, Brown began her professional career at the Bluefield Daily Telegraph. where in just one short year she advanced her way up from an entry level position to Lifestyles editor. In her role there, she further refined her skills and gained practical experience in the field of communication.

However, it was a twist of fate that truly set her career in motion. A former colleague from the Telegraph, now working at WVVA-TV in Bluefield, informed Brown about a digital content manager position. Interested, Brown applied and, with a strong recommendation from Allen Roberts, BU’s graphic communication director, Brown secured the position.

In her role as a digital content manager at WVVA, Brown found her niche. She embraced the challenges of managing digital content while cherishing the opportunity to continue writing stories and engaging with viewers through social media platforms. Despite being the sole member of her department, Brown approaches her responsibilities with enthusiasm and determination — determined to make a significant impact.

Looking toward the future, Brown’s ambitions know no bounds. Her professional goals revolve around expanding WVVA’s online presence and aiming to enhance interactions on the website and social media platforms. Her ultimate goal is to boost viewership through livestreams and apps, leveraging her expertise and passion for web and social media management.

Brown’s journey from Greeneville to Bluefield and her new role as digital content manager at WVVA is a testament to her resilience and dedication. Her story inspires not only would-be communication professionals, but also anyone striving to turn their dreams into reality. With unwavering determination and a strong educational foundation, Brown continues to pave the way for her success in the dynamic world of communication.

Close Magazine