Sorry, The Rampage does not support Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer presents security concerns, and is no longer supported—even by Microsoft. Please download a modern browser such as:

Administration Responds to Student Concerns About Commencement

Student Newspaper • 1987

During a Town Hall Forum, March 1, Bluefield University students expressed concerns about a change in venue for this year’s Spring Commencement, which would limit the number of guests graduates could invite. BU administrators responded to those concerns and with the help of supporters came up with a solution to satisfy students.

Student Government Association president Isaiah Rife facilitated the Town Hall Forum, which he described as a bridge between students and the administration. He welcomed students and thanked them for participating in the event. He also introduced the faculty and staff serving on the panel responding to student questions and concerns, including Dr. Michael Salmeier, interim president and provost; Karl Hatton, vice president for admissions and student development; Chris Johnson, dean of students; and Dr. Emily Lambert, dean of the College of Sciences and associate professor of biology.

“We want to meet in the middle between the faculty and the students,” Rife said. “That’s what the SGA is here to do. We wanted to give you all (students) the opportunity to come talk face-to-face with faculty.”

During the forum, students voiced displeasure with the university’s decision to hold Spring Commencement services in Harman Chapel instead of outside in the quad, considering the change limits the number of guests seniors can invite to the ceremony.

“As a class of 2020 (high school) graduate (during the COVID pandemic), my senior year was stripped from me,” said BU senior Alyssa Mangino. “I didn’t get a graduation; I didn’t get a prom; I didn’t get any of that. I had three people at my graduation. My biological mother, who lives in New Jersey, couldn’t even come to my (high school) graduation. And now, I’m a senior at Bluefield, and I have worked hard for four years to be where I am, and I have to tell certain people that didn’t get to see me graduate high school that they won’t see me walk across the stage and get a college diploma as a first-generation college graduate.”

In light of recent financial concerns and in an effort to save money to address a projected budget shortfall for this academic year, the university decided to hold Commencement for undergraduate students in Harman Chapel this spring, eliminating the costs of renting chairs, a stage, a portable sound system, and other equipment needed to host the ceremony outside in the campus quad. While saving money, the move restricted the number of guest tickets to five per graduating student because of the limited capacity of Harman Chapel.

“My family booked hotels, took time off work, and were all planning to be here to watch me graduate,” Mangino added, “and now I don’t even have enough tickets for the people that live in West Virginia.”

Under the administration’s original solution, there were going to be two undergraduate ceremonies with graduating seniors receiving just five tickets for guests. The first ceremony was going to celebrate seniors graduating from the College of Arts and Letters, School of Education, and School of Criminal Justice. The second ceremony was going to be for seniors graduating from the School of Business, School of Nursing, and the College of Science.

“If I’m a sports player and have played sports with people for four years of my life, and then you split us up to where I can’t even graduate with them,” said senior Chloe Hicks. “I understand the finances and everything are an issue, but in my opinion we pay too much money to go here to have you all of a sudden say we can only have five people come to graduation.”

Dr. Salmeier said that the administration recognized the issues and limitations the change in venue created, but at the time believed moving the location and offering two ceremonies was the best answer to save money while meeting students’ needs. He described the solution at that time as “the best way for us to give (seniors) a graduation experience.” He added that the solution was “not fair” and “not a perfect solution,” but “a good one.” But that all changed after the Town Hall Forum when administrators decided to address the seniors’ concerns.

“Thanks to some hard work by our leadership and the generosity of several members of the Board of Trustees, we will be able to have graduation in the Quad,” said Dr. Paul Lemon, interim associate provost for academic services and dean of registration services. “We will have one undergraduate ceremony at 10 a.m. on May 4. This also means that we don’t have to have limited seating and tickets. Students are welcome to bring family and friends. No tickets are required.”

Dr. Lemon described Commencement’s return to the Quad as “fantastic news.” Graduating seniors agreed.

During the Town Hall Forum, students also asked questions about tutoring services and work-study opportunities and expressed concern about the perceived lack of “fun” activities on campus.

“There’s nothing to do,” said BU student Lizzie Roberts. “The only activities there are to do are things like Bible study meetings. We enjoy Bingo. When there’s Bingo nights, hundreds of students come. We need more events that students actually enjoy, because when we find our own fun…somehow, it’s always not right.”

Other topics of discussion included campus safety, the condition of residence halls, and trash on campus.

“Our trash on campus is absolutely horrible,” said BU student Landon Breeden, “and it is not your (the administration’s) fault. It’s the students’ fault, and it’s actually disgusting. I care about this place, and I think it’s awesome and great, but the trash is so bad.”

Breeden suggested student groups on campus get involved with the administration in planning community service projects to clean up the trash. He also suggested the entire campus community take a day off from work and classes to clean up the campus. Johnson said the administration is aware of the trash problem and has been implementing tactics to address the issue. He said they are also open to other ideas to help eliminate the trash on campus.

In closing, students expressed appreciation for the opportunity to voice their opinion during the Town Hall Forum.

“As a senior, this is the first Town Hall I’ve been to, and I wish there were ways to have them more often,” said BU student Ian Mattullo. “It helps students see you (SGA and the administration) and to have more face-to-face conversations with you, and that’s beneficial.”

Close Magazine