Sorry, The Rampage does not support Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer presents security concerns, and is no longer supported—even by Microsoft. Please download a modern browser such as:

University Names Art Gallery after Longtime Professor Walter Shroyer

Student Newspaper • 1987

Bluefield University paid tribute to a longtime art professor, Wednesday, March 6, by naming the Lansdell Hall first floor art corridor the Walter T. Shroyer Art Gallery.  

Nearly 30 current and former students, faculty, staff, and friends gathered on campus for the dedication ceremony and to express their appreciation to Shroyer, who served BU as an art professor from 1991 to 2022.

“I don’t know what to say,” said Shroyer about the turnout and show of support. “I appreciate everybody being here. I’m overwhelmed by all my friends that are here and, of course, the college in doing this.”

Shroyer served BU as an art professor and chair of the Art Department for 31 years. During his tenure, he inspired hundreds of students on to careers in creating and teaching art. He also spearheaded efforts to raise more than $500,000 to renovate an old boiler building on campus into a state-of-the art visual arts center, named after lead donors Don and Maria Cox.

Just two years into his tenure in 1993, Shroyer created the art gallery on the first floor of Lansdell Hall to showcase the work of BU art students and to help them build their resumes. Through the years, he hosted as many as six shows a year in the corridor, including at least two student art shows a year and featuring not only students, but also visiting artists from the local community, state, and region.

“I didn’t get to work with Walter as he had stepped away before I got here,” said Dr. Michael Salmeier, BU’s interim president and provost who welcomed guests to the dedication ceremony, “but his legacy has always been here and, in fact, I can’t think of a single day since I’ve been here that I haven’t walked down this aisle and thought of Walter because of the artwork on these walls. This is the perfect opportunity for everybody else to have the same experience that I have walking down these aisles and thinking of Walter and his legacy for this institution.”

Shroyer, whose own art has been featured in exhibits across the country, thanked the individuals who made the naming of the art gallery in his honor a reality, including current graphic communication professor Allen Roberts, former president Dr. David Olive, and former vice president for academic affairs Dr. Marshall Flowers.

“I’m very honored,” Shroyer said, “and I appreciate all the people who had something to do with this.”

View video from WVVA-TV’s coverage of the dedication of the Walter T. Shroyer Art Gallery.

Close Magazine