Sorry, The Rampage does not support Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer presents security concerns, and is no longer supported—even by Microsoft. Please download a modern browser such as:

Students Invited to Apply for Rampage Scholarship

Communication • Faculty Advisor

Two Bluefield University students will be receiving a $3,000 Rampage Editor’s Scholarship for the 2022-2023 academic year, and all BU students with an interest and skills in writing, graphic design, website maintenance, or social media management are eligible for the award.

Founded in 1987, The Rampage is Bluefield University’s student-produced newspaper. Under the supervision of the Department of Communication, The Rampage is designed to showcase student talents, keep students informed of relevant news and events, and give a voice to the student body. Existing for years as a traditional print newspaper, The Rampage launched an online news site (bcrampage.com) and a more modern magazine-style print version in 2018.

As part of its support of The Rampage and in an effort to reward exceptional contributions to the publication, the Department of Communication presents a $3,000 annual scholarship to two outstanding students who work with The Rampage.

The $3,000 annual scholarship is granted $1,500 per semester provided the student meets all the requirements of the award in each semester. In fact, scholarship recipients are expected to commit to at least a full year (two semesters) with The Rampage. The scholarship is also renewable from year to year as long as the student continues to meet the requirements of the award. If circumstances prohibit a full year’s commitment (e.g. class scheduling conflict), the scholarship can be awarded per semester.

In addition to the monetary award, students selected for the scholarship will be named an editor of The Rampage. Depending on the student’s qualifications, they might serve as a copy editor, design editor, web editor, marketing editor, or managing editor.

Requirements for the Award

To be eligible for a Rampage Scholarship, students must meet all of the following requirements:

• Be enrolled or actively involved in one of the following communication classes
    • Media Writing
    • Journalism
    • Introduction to Media Management
    • Intermediate Media Management
    • Advanced Media Management
    • Publishing with InDesign
    • Designing for Graphic Customers
    • User Experience Web Design
    • A directed study in communication or graphic communication
    • A communication or graphic communication internship
  • Possess significant experience or strong skills in at least one, but ideally all of the following areas: a) writing, b) graphic design, c) website maintenance or work with a web content management system (e.g. WordPress), or d) social media management.
  • Be in good academic standing (i.e. not on probation) with a preferred overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0, including a 3.0 GPA in communication courses.
  • Maintain an active interest and role in the publication and promotion of the Rampage, both in print and online, in the following ways
    • Take a leadership role with the Rampage
    • Work well with others and contribute meaningfully to the success of the Rampage team
    • Understand the importance of key contributions to the Rampage
    • Contribute ideas for Rampage publications
    • Work independently with limited supervision.

Application and Selection Process

Students must submit an application to the Department of Communication no later than May 31 for consideration for a Rampage Editor’s Scholarship in the upcoming academic year.

The application must include the following:

• A letter from the student detailing his or her strengths in the area of communication and describing why he or she is worthy of the award.
  • A copy of the student’s academic transcript.
  • Samples or evidence of experience in at least one, but ideally all of the following areas: a) writing, b) graphic design, c) website maintenance or work with a web content management system (e.g. WordPress), or d) social media management.
  • Contact information, including student phone number and email address.

Applications will be reviewed by the Department of Communication and finalists selected based on how each candidate meets the qualifications of the award. Interviews with Communication faculty will be granted to finalists to determine scholarship winners. Those interviews will be arranged and completed before the start of each fall semester.

For more information or to apply for The Rampage Editor’s Scholarship, contact Chris Shoemaker, assistant professor of communication and faculty advisor for The Rampage.

Close Magazine